Your browser is outdated!
To ensure you have the best experience and security possible, update your browser. Update now
While I have a good understanding of digital product implementation and delivery, my passion lies in connecting the Club with fans and working with great people to do this.
Innovation, product delivery, user design and experience, deliver what the fans need (off the pitch!). The Club benefits through commercial benefits, brand awareness, engagement or just a fun factor!
As a communicative, hardworking and enthusiastic individual, I deliver Product through agile development and responsibilities, delivering to deadlines and working through problems to find realistic solutions.
I pride myself on leading by example. I like to get stuck in, using the data, tools and team skills available to do great things!
Manchester City FC
Since February 2018
- I manage the mancity.com website and it's platform backlog and features for fans and editors. After identifying that our current systems aren't up to the job, I've been working with key internal stakeholders and fans to improve the digital platform, appearance and speed.
I organise meetings and workshops with stakeholders at multiple levels - the content team up and senior stakeholders. It is implemented through the management of developers (in Europe and London), internal developer and designer - this makes up the Platform Squad.
- We monitor stats and data to allow us to better engage audiences and extend brand reach, improve our channel valuation (through ad inventory, sponsorship and viewability) and give us the tools to implement our content across all our channels and CRM.
- Support weekly team resourcing, manage the programme of work and associated projects that the team are working on are delivered to a high quality and we as a team hit relevant deadlines and objectives.
- Manage the Platform budget, contracts and suppliers. Ensure we are receiving value and not a 'City' tax.
- Ensure that the team are aware of developments throughout the Club, organise team workshopping days, show and tells and mentor junior members of the team.
- Continue to foster content syndication to reach new audiences through the product lifecycle.
- Delivered new Homepage - increasing page views per user and reducing bounce rate.
- Chats and Drinks - I organise a monthly event for our marketing and media team (usually 40+attendees) - beers and lightning talk in our Manchester studio - this keep our wider team aware of progress and cool stuff going on in the team.
Manchester City FC
to January 2018
- Homepage redesign made following fan focus groups and online feedback. This has improved fan retention and acquisition through improved load speeds, increased content displayed and deeper linking.
Thus improving commercial value in the site through sponsorship activities and advertising.
- Delivered multiple campaign pages in conjunction with the Marketing team to promote and advertise key events globally.
- Improved site performance, worked to identify quick wins and longer-term changes with our supplier. The page size is now down 67% and homepage loading down 64%.
- Manage the Digital team budget.
- Built the Digital Team intranet pages and Medium blog to ensure the team are confident discussing their work internally and externally within the industry.
Manchester City FC
to June 2017
- Developed content distribution and search optimisation strategy. Then implemented it with help from developers and content teams to increase organic traffic from 21% at launch to now 47%.
Manchester City brand panel now displayed when you search 'city'.
- Implemented Google AMP, Instant articles and Apple News channel to improve content distribution and fan touch points. Getting more eyeballs on our content.
This created an additional 200k weekly article views from these channels.
- Implemented Google Posts which deliver an additional 2m weekly impressions and interaction rates of up to 30% from branded search terms. This was implemented in my own time.
- Trained the content team and began several workshops to ensure search and fan discovery is kept front of mind.
- Continued to refine schema to improve the organic reach of our content through a backlog of development and content changes. Monitoring results in google analytics and MOZ. Domain ranking has improved from 65 to now 78.
- Supported the Club's second #Hackathon to work with individuals and teams to produce new approaches to common issues facing fans and the Club.
- Manage contractors to provide additional resource when required.
Manchester City FC
to July 2015
- Manage two direct reports, Digital Delivery Manager and Digital Delivery Executive.
- Product manage the website. Inform stakeholders of product benefits, integrations, uphold best practices, be the voice of the fan.
- Product manage the Registration and CRM integrations using agile methodologies, sprint planning, testing and release process.
- Support and consult on new builds and product around used by various departments.
Manchester City FC
to April 2013
- Delivery of high quality, branded websites (including the award winning mcfc.co.uk website), mobile apps (including the award winning iPhone app) and social experiences, supporting the Club's global ambitions and bringing fans closer together to share their passion for City digitally. (Please see detailed description for list of publicly launched projects.)
- Communicate to board and stakeholders strategy, development and progress on projects.
- Prioritise projects and products in line with business needs and seasonal dependancies, ensuring projects are scheduled appropriately and taking into account any new/short notice projects.
- Report to Senior Leadership Team on Club statistics, interpreting the nuances of traffic through our various properties - mobile, online, apps.
- Recruitment of Digital Media Executives and Digital Delivery Managers.
- Management and mentoring of team members.
- Managing invoicing, budgeting and financial reporting.
- Liaising with Legal department for contracts, NDA and supplier agreements.
- Training of new staff on Content Management System and Google Analytics including the importance of thinking about audience to promote good SEO.
- Application of data protection, ethical data collection and storage. Knowledge of some international data laws.
- Mobile development, app submissions and commerce (Android and iOS) including statistical tracking and pricing.
- Promoted MCFC digital successes at various events. Speaking at Garnter, Internet Week, various Sitecore events and Travel and Tourism North West bout our experience in digital.
to January 2008
- Rollout of 17 European, multi lingual websites. Working with US and Japanese development teams and training European Marketing Managers.
- Implementing a Search Engine Optimisation programme to improve reach and audience.
- Reporting on site statistics - Webtrends and Urchin (now Google Analytics)
- Creation of online assets - flash and graphics
- Creating a roadmap of improvements to the Content Management System and front end development of the sites
- Managed the Digital budget for the UK website
- I have spoken at various conference and events, most recently Product Tank in Manchester and previously at Garnter Conference, Internet Week, Sitecore Denmark and Travel and Tourism North West on digital delivery, content management and product management in Sport.
- I am a budding home cook, not quite Masterchef standard, but getting there!
- Since joining Manchester City I have found my footballing home, attending as many home games as possible with my Dad (converted from a Bolton Wanderers fan).
Since January 2019
Umbraco Certified Professional is a developer who have a solid understanding of Umbraco best practices, can implement an Umbraco website from scratch, and knows what the major areas of Umbraco is used for.
AXELOS Global Best Practice
Since July 2018
A proven programme management approach that delivers effective and successful change.
The University of Salford
to May 2005
Modules that I excelled: Artificial Intelligence, Usability Design and Development, Human Computer Interaction, Software Design.
Completed a year in industry at Fujitsu.
Attained First Class
to June 2001
Physics, Maths, Chemistry
Digital Project Management
Digital Media - content and video
Search Engine Optimisation and Marketing
Social Media Marketing
Mobile and App Design and Development
Thrive in a team environment
People Management experience and mentoring
Planning and Documentation
Love to Learn
Video Player Integration
Single Sign On
Moz Search tool
Google Search Console